Gastrointestinal disease is relatively common, especially, gastrointestinal cancers are tending to increase and become rejuvenated in Vietnam. In order to accurately assess and diagnose the diseases, gastrointestinal endoscopy is a necessary and highly reliable method. Currently, this method is being simply and effectively performed by high experienced doctors in High Quality Examination and Treatment Center, Phu Tho Provincial General Hospital.
With conventional endoscopy, patients always experience uncomfortable feelings such as pain, nausea, irritability, throat irritation during gastroscopy, or abdominal distention during colonoscopy, etc. Strikingly, with anesthesia for gastrointestinal endoscopy, those feelings will not appear. Clients will no longer feel discomfort, anxiety and fear during the endoscopy, which means the laparoscopic procedure becomes more gentle and comfortable. In particular, Anesthesia for gastrointestinal endoscopy gives doctors the chance to observe even the smallest lesions in hidden positions. The time of anesthesia depends on endoscopy and the patient can get conscious right after the endoscopy. Usually, time of anesthesia is short and the amount of anesthetics is small, which will not affect much on patients’ health and psychology.
Patient under gastrointestinal endoscopy with anesthesia detected colorectal polyps.
* When is gastrointestinal endoscopy needed?
Gastrointestinal endoscopy (gastroscopy or colonoscopy) is applied in the following cases:
- Patients with suspected pathologies and diseases related to esophagus, stomach, duodenum, colon such as inflammation, ulcer, cancer, polyps, bleeding, swallowing abnormal objects.
- Treatment: haemostasis, removal of foreign objects, polyps, esophageal vein ligation and biopsy of cancers, etc.
Anesthesia does not hurt patients.
* What you need to do before and after endoscopy:
Patients should inform their physicians about their health history of diseases. Patients will be instructed to prepare as follows:
- In case of Gastroscopy: have meal at least 6 hours before the endoscopy. Patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus etc, need to use drugs as normal however, dose can be adjusted.
- In case of Colonoscopy: Clean the colon as instructed by process.
- Admit the hospital with carers or family members.
- Sign on the commitment papers for the procedure
- After the endoscopy: patients will be taken cared and monitored in the recovery room until he/she get consciousness.
- Assess living signs: consciousness, respiratory system, cardiovascular system and motility before discharge after the client wake up. Patients can only eat at least 3 hours after the anesthesia and can drive at least 2 hours after endoscopy.
Let the High Quality Health care Examination and Treatment Center take care of you and your family. For more information please contact 0210.6254.134.